Controls & Automation Engineers I, II, III
Birmingham, AL Area
The ideal candidate(s) must be local to the Birmingham area.
Long-term opportunity: Direct hire or contract-to-direct
Education: Associates from an accredited college or university; BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering is preferred. Experience may be considered in lieu of education requirements.
Experience: All positions require a minimum of 1 to 3 years of relevant industrial experience in controls and automation engineering. Additional experience may qualify for alternate classification.
Industrial Automation experience.
1-3 years of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) experience.
Must have a valid driver's license
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States
Must be willing and able to comply with a preemployment drug test and background check in
accordance with local law/regulations.
Must be able to effectively communicate in English language.
Below are areas of experience that are desired. Experience in all areas is not required.
- Ability to create accurate controls hardware installation documents from the information found on vendor equipment drawings
- Ability to read and interpret PFDs, P&IDs, and instrument loop sheets
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP networking protocols, media (twisted pair, coaxial, fiber optic, wireless, etc.), and equipment
- Ability to troubleshoot I/O problems in the field using a multimeter
- Ability to troubleshoot software problems in the field
- Ability to troubleshoot networking problems in the field using common isolation techniques
- Knowledge and application of at least one of the following in support of control system installation:
- Microsoft Windows Client, Microsoft Server Operating Systems, UNIX,Linux
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to accurately estimate completion of assigned tasks
- Forecasting hours to complete professional services
- Developing design criteria and scope ofwork
- Excellent virtual team skills and cross divisional relationships
- Experience with creating, using, and deploying Virtual Machines
- Experience with Network Security
- Knowledge of Modbus protocols (Serial and TCP)
- Knowledge of Ethernet and LAN/WAN systems such as Cisco switches and router
- Basic understanding of CAD software, either AutoCAD orMicroStation
Responsible for performing routine design of less complex engineering assignments using theoretical knowledge and practical design methods regarding implementation of DCS/PLC/HMI/SIS systems. With experience at this level, the expectation is to assist in the design of larger and more complex automation
and controls engineering assignments or lead smaller automation projects. This work will be performed under general supervision.
Primary responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Recognizing and communicating scope and design changes promptly
- Providing on-site assistance during startup
- Providing technical guidance to less experienced engineering personnel in the department
- Coordinating work activities with other staff members
- Producing control system installation specifications
- Developing conceptual layouts and cost studies on small projects as necessary to determine the most simple, efficient approach to solving engineering tasks at hand
- Configuring control systems with an overall emphasis on ease of maintenance and completed product meeting the expectations of the client
- Consulting with design leaders from other disciplines to ensure the smooth flow of vital information necessary for the scheduled completion of the project
- Reviewing and checking vendor drawings and other discipline drawings for Controls and Automation input
- Performing fieldwork necessary to gather field data and retrieve existing control system configuration
- Experience with the following systems (PLC, DCS, HMI, SIS, or VFD) is desired:
- Allen Bradley ControlLogix
- Allen Bradley CompactLogix
- Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View SE
- Rockwell Automation FactoryTalk View ME
- Allen Bradley GuardLogix VFDs
- Allen Bradley PowerFlex 70
- Allen Bradley PowerFlex 700
- Allen Bradley PowerFlex 750 Series
Process Automation and Controls, Inc is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to characteristics such as race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, citizenship status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by law.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Pay: From $85,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- At least 1 year of PLC experience
- Automation: 1 year (Required)
Work Location: In person