Role & Responsibilities
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Protection-MHPSS Project Manager develops, leads, monitors and evaluates the assigned MHPSS and Protection aspects of MHPSS and other projects in the North. This involves effectively managing and reporting on the projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Other important aspects of the role include managing and training staff to meet international quality standards in protection and mental health and psychosocial support delivery, encouraging beneficiary participation, liaising with other stakeholders and anticipating, planning, and contributing to report and proposal writing for integrated MHPSS components in overall programming with a special focus on Protection.
Medair started programming in North of Ukraine End of May/ beginning of June 2022, providing Infrastructure, NFI, Cash and MHPSS humanitarian assistance. Medair is currently implementing MHPSS programming in North and has ongoing grant/ proposal submissions for protection or case management projects. If approved, the project will support beneficiaries to move out of Collective Centres into private accommodation through identification of individual barriers and tailored intervention, via a case work modality. Medair is also providing MHPSS, Health, NFI, Shelter, and WASH emergency assistance in other parts of Ukraine.
Workplace & Working conditions
Field based position is based in Ukraine, Kyiv or Sumy with regular travelling to other regions.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
ASAP. Full time, 4 months.
Key Activity Areas
Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Project Management
- Manage the assigned MHPSS and Case Management project in order to meet the project objectives within budget and within the allotted time frame, reporting promptly operational concerns to Project Coordinator (PC)
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned MHPSS and Alternative Housing Solutions project, working to ensure both short and long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local staff
- Contribute to development and implementation of an appropriate and effective Protection & MHPSS strategy including proactive planning for responsible exit in consultation with PC, field managers and sector advisors
- Set clear objectives and indicators for Protection (Case Work) & MHPSS activities in collaboration with the PC, field managers and, where appropriate, with the local communities
- Continuously monitor and supervise MHPSS and Case Work activities, evaluating progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data involving the MHPSS and Case Work team in analysis and taking appropriate action as needed to ensure continued progress
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of all MHPSS and Case Work & MHPSS activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats
- Develop new proposals, linked to the assessed needs and gaps and the Medair country strategy, in conjunction with the field team and Sr. MHPSS advisor at GSO
- Develop the strategy and mechanisms to integrate mental health and psychosocial support into Medair programs in line with Medair’s global Strategic Approach for MHPSS
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for MHPSS programs, analysing data trends and best practices with subsequent learning to inform MHPSS strategy and programming
- Contribute to develop and implement integrated referral mechanism
- Coordinate with MHPSS and Protection partners to address MHPSS and protection issues for beneficiaries
- Support provision of holistic services for survivors of gender-based violence including clinical management and psychosocial support
- Line-manage the MHPSS Manager and Case Work Manager and lead the MHPSS and Case Work team within the assigned projects, including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular meetings to assist information sharing between project staff, to ensure all staff members are aware of project objectives and current work plans and to provide the opportunity for feedback
- Provide coaching and technical supervision to staff in order to develop ownership for MHPSS activities
- Assess the training needs of Protection, Case Work & MHPSS staff and ensure that appropriate training is conducted
- Work in close collaboration with other Medair Protection and MHPSS PM(s) in other regions of Ukraine
- Manage the MHPSS and Alternative Housing Solutions/ Case Work budgets for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet the Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned MHPSS and Case Work team, Medair in-country and GSO advisors and other relevant stakeholders, with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships
- Participate in Protection cluster/sub-cluster, CCCM cluster/sub-cluster, MHPSS TWG, RMI TWGand GBV meetings as appropriate, as well as in Medair internal trainings, and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the Case Work & MHPSS staff and broader team on relevant issues
- Establish and nurture relationships with relevant referral partners
- Liaise, as necessary, with the logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly
- Promote and use the Medair intranet and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed
- Ensure Protection, Case Work & MHPSS projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards (i.e. Sphere, CHS and IASC guidelines)
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
- Degree in psychology, psychiatric nursing, or social work , or experienced case worker or specialty in working in social housing
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- 2 years’ post-qualification professional experience
- At least 1 year management experience
- At least 1 year’s experience managing mental health/ psychosocial/ protection /case work projects in developing countries
- Passionate about serving the poor. Self-motivated. Team-player with good inter-personal skills
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels. Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
- Willingness to comply with security protocols in living conditions. Ability and willingness to manage project implementation
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills. Problem solving ability
- Knowledge of humanitarian principles, Sphere and CHS as well as IASC guidelines and policies for MHPSS in emergencies
- Experience in the design, monitoring of implementation and evaluation of psychosocial programs
- Knowledge and experience of Protection and MHPSS principles, management and mainstreaming.
- Able to prioritise clearly and oversee multiple tasks. Able to take initiative in project decisions
- Able to enforce procedures. Able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate
- Committed to consultative and servant minded leadership. Good understanding of humanitarian work