- BA/BS degree or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years
- Experience in Drupal 9/10 Enterprise site-building and working with Folwell web theme
- Experience developing, implementing, and administering web solutions using Drupal
- Experience with TWIG templating language.
- Knowledge of WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards and its implementation
- Experience with Drupal sub-theming
- Ability to identify web related needs and work with multi-functional teams to implement new digital solutions online
- Strong organizational skills to keep up with various client needs or team projects
- Experience communicating with diverse groups of people and translating technical issues and trends to non-technical audiences
- Experience following institutional identity standards and working within a visual system
- Clear understanding of Google and Microsoft tools, familiarity with Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Adobe creative suite.
The salary range for this role is $65k to $71k.
The Web Developer 1 is a part of the Digital Communications in Marketing and Communications team and responsible for developing, building, maintaining and leading the University’s Drupal websites. Web Developers work with a marketing team including writers, designers, project managers, a photographer, and a videographer to build and update web and other digital communications that support the strategies of the University. Our team collaborates with communicators and developers on all University campuses and works closely with the Office of Information Technology. The Web Developer 1 will use the Folwell web theme to develop and redesign University websites, code html emails and templates, and deliver training and support to clients as needed.
General Website Creation and Maintenance 70%
- Configures layouts via node templates, paragraphs, blocks, or layout builder.
- Develops content types, accessibility features, fields, blocks, regions, views, sub-themes, entities, taxonomies, forms, and other web elements.
- Builds and styles Drupal 9/10 websites to adhere with the University's Folwell web theme.
- Collaborates on code development and issues management using Git source code management system and GitHub.
- Tests and validates websites for accurate code structure, code standards, browser compatibility, performance, alignment to University accessibility standards, appropriate responsive behavior, and brand compliance.
- Develops and participates in usability planning, prototype development, site testing, and issue remediation as issues are identified through UX and accessibility testing.
- File management of PDFs and images files.
- Creates tickets and follows up with OIT to resolve outstanding website issues.
- Uses project management software (e.g. Asana) to prioritize and coordinate the work.
Web Support 20%
- Partners with digital communications team developers to analyze and deliver specific client needs.
- Provides excellent technical support, instruction, and training for clients/content contributors.
- Undertakes special projects.
- Develops responsive HTML templates for emails.
Professional Development 5%
- Independently learns features of new and changing technologies through online and written materials.
- Attends conferences, workshops, seminars, other professional development opportunities.
- Participates in various committees and groups on and off campus such as Web People.
- Presents on web development projects, evolving digital trends, and brand standards to various communities of practice.
Other duties as assigned 5%
- As needed, develops skills to assist in projects that incorporate technologies not currently used by UR.
- Assists with other digital communication needs as they arise.
- Drafts and publishes blog content regarding evolving digital trends and maintaining brand standards for the web.
This is a Fully Remote Position. The University of Minnesota is currently offering flexible working options. Specifics about this position will be discussed during the interview stage.
The Digital Communications team is a part of the Marketing and Communications unit within University Relations, the University of Minnesota’s central communications unit. University Relations promotes pride, trust, and understanding of the University to internal and external audiences, working extensively with the Office of the President and other central units at the University as well as four health sciences colleges.
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions.
Please attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
This position will be open until filled.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.
At the University of Minnesota, we are proud to be recognized by the Star Tribune as a Top Workplace for 2021, as well as by Forbes as Best Employers for Women and one of America’s Best Employers (2015, 2018, 2019, 2023), Best Employer for Diversity (2019, 2020), Best Employer for New Grads (2018, 2019), and Best Employer by State (2019, 2022).