Unleash Your Potential
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customer’s success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like an environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Leidos is seeking a Distribution Engineer who is passionate about electric utility design engineering. We need someone who is dedicated to ensuring that every project, no matter how simple or complex, is of exceptional quality. You'll be working directly with clients to make sure that Leidos' reputation for high-quality work is always maintained.
At Leidos, we pride ourselves on being a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Our Power Delivery Services Team is the go-to for utilities and mobile operators who need reliable power and telecommunication expertise. We've worked with over 50 investor-owned utilities, over 160 municipals/cooperatives, and we're continuing to expand our reach. Plus, we've got an amazing group of industry-leading construction partners who help us deliver meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions.
Our recognition as an industry leader has been confirmed time and time again. Engineering News-Record (ENR) has ranked Leidos among the Top 10 T&D Firms and Top 10 Power Firms.
As a valued team member, you can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment and flexible work hours/work arrangements, as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth opportunities, including:
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification
- Professional Engineer Licensure
- Leadership training
- Mentorship Programs
- Management opportunities
If you join us in this role, you'll also have the opportunity to gain experience/expertise in a variety of areas, including NESC, Structural Pole Modeling, Electrical Power Calculations, GIS design training, Project and Financial Management, and Client Design Standards. Your greatest work is ahead!
This position has the potential for a hybrid work schedule, with some time spent working from our Orlando office, and some time spent working remotely. The hybrid schedule is at the discretion of the hiring team, and could potentially change in the future, depending on the needs of our utility client.
As a Distribution Engineer, You can expect to:
- Perform design engineering for Leidos electric utility customers
- Develop work packages for OH, UG, URD, Make Ready, and Street Light projects, using customer GIS and WMS systems such as DDS, GDT, GE Smallworld, Bentley Expert Designer, and Maximo
- Manage scope, schedule, and budget of work assigned.
- Review engineering design packages with clients
- Perform functional tasks, planning, and/or customer follow-up
- Perform scope analysis of work assigned and maintain schedule adherence to advocate client priorities
- Initiate continuous improvement to workflow processes that drive efficiency and high-quality standards in client design deliverables
- Gain experience in coordinating conflicting utilities and other field engineering design requirements, assessing and developing large design packages for complex cable/conduit projects in dense urban environments, work permit development, easements, and ROW applications
- Be comfortable in both a field and office setting: the role may require customer-site visits to collect field data that will assist in developing work packages
What Sets You Apart (Background Requirements):
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering discipline (Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, or Industrial) from an ABET accredited institution
- Experience with National Electric Safety Code (NESC)
- Although we can consider candidates at various levels of experience, a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience is required: Relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company performing electric distribution design engineering
- Some Prior experience with structural analysis, guying calcs, cable pulling calcs, coordination of protective devices, and electric demand and fault currents calculations.
- Ability to provide your own reliable transportation, as some customer-related travel is anticipated (Job-related travel will be reimbursed at IRS-approved rates)
- Ability to demonstrate strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
You Might Also Have Some previous experience with:
- Providing estimated costs, development of a BOM, calculating the CIAC.
- Design tools such as Pole Foreman, SOCKET, Spida-Calc, DDS.
- MicroStation -performing Electrical Distribution design.
- Work management software and job estimating software.
- CAD tools
Professional Attributes that will help you succeed in this role:
- Collaborative attitude and inclusivity of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations.
- Ability to work with limited supervision
- Positive attitude
- Professional dress and demeanor
At Leidos, the opportunities are boundless. We challenge our staff with interesting assignments that provide them with an opportunity to thrive, professionally and personally. For us, helping you grow your career is good business.
Leidos Civil Group helps modernize infrastructure, systems, and security. We are a trusted partner to both government and highly-regulated commercial customers looking for transformative solutions in mission IT, security, software, engineering, and operations. We work with our customers including the FAA, DOE, NASA, National Science Foundation, Transportation Security Administration, Custom and Border Protection, airports, and electric utilities to make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient. Our customers take on the toughest challenges out there, and at times need a helping hand from specialists in their fields. We combine our scale as a Fortune 500 company with the deep technical knowledge of our core capabilities and the expertise of our talented and diverse workforce to deliver mission-centric innovations. For each of these core capabilities, we have developed proven, repeatable processes that help us deliver agile, cost-effective solutions to foster a better world. To explore and learn more, click here!
Pay Range $46,800.00 - $84,600.00
The Leidos pay range for this job level is a general guideline only and not a guarantee of compensation or salary. Additional factors considered in extending an offer include (but are not limited to) responsibilities of the job, education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as well as internal equity, alignment with market data, applicable bargaining agreement (if any), or other law.