CatchLight is in an exciting period of growth–join us as we expand our groundbreaking model for local visual journalism. We are looking for an experienced visuals editor to join CatchLight Local in producing impactful visual storytelling while improving representation and access to high quality visual journalism for local newsrooms and communities.
- Spearhead day to day management and workflows of CatchLight Local staff, Fellows and Newsroom Members
- Establish Newsroom member fee schedules/ MOUs
- Provide multi platform visual editing and strategy services + regular communication to designated CatchLight Local Newsroom Members as assigned by Executive Editor (averaging 4-5 hrs per newsroom member weekly)
- Provide coaching, progress tracking and short & long form assignment support for CatchLight Local visual reporting Fellows
- Works with Communication Director and Executive Editor to help define visual strategy and provide assets for Local publishing and products
- Develop creative packages and digital publishing approaches for visual stories as assigned by the Executive Editor, I.e. monthly curation for newsletter, regular social media edits and seasonal/thematic state-wide galleries
- Manage freelancers and consultants to carry out CatchLight Local services and digital publishing strategies (i.e. working with product developers, social media producers, etc.)
- Oversee growth and maintenance of CMS including working with DAM specialist and CatchLight Local editors to enhance distribution opportunities and efficiencies for CatchLight and visual desk newsroom members.
- Support outreach and selection for annual application process for CatchLight Local Fellows
- Work with CatchLight’s Executive Editor and CEO to conduct outreach, selection and onboarding process for future potential visual desk newsroom members
- Work with CL Local team and Development Director to manage implementation of tracking tools and report out newsroom, fellow and community outcomes of the visual desk; informing iteration of services with an eye towards value propositions for newsroom members, renewals and long-term visual desk sustainability
- Stay current with local journalism developments and efforts to help inform best practices, growth and workflows for CatchLight Local
We are a woman-led organization that seeks to give opportunities to applicants from diverse and historically marginalized backgrounds with intentionality.
We actively seek and encourage applicants from across all walks of life who have expertise and a proven track record in one or more of the areas below:
- Passion for and understanding of visual culture and local media landscape— fluency in Adobe Creative Suite, visual content management systems, and AirTable a plus
- Strong understanding of visual editing and production workflows, particularly in a newsroom context
- Solid knowledge of visual journalism standards and ethics
- Collaborative and cooperative work ethic, able to positively engage the entire team to work on complex projects.
- Self starter: ability to work independently, take initiative and prioritize tasks.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with a small team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and “can do” attitude; promotes an open and supportive workplace culture.
- 5+ years of experience in visual editing, publishing and/or local journalism
- 3 + years of experience in project management; proven track record of successfully managing workflows, teams and delivering client services.
Key Criteria For Consideration — In addition to demonstrating strong skill set requirements, we are looking for excellence in the following areas. Candidates will be reviewed based on the following:
- Creativity: You are a net positive force of creative capital. Your engagement not only enhances the organizational performance, it enhances the creative capacities of the entire team. You bring ideas to the team.
- Character: You operate at the highest executive function in your personal organization, your communications style, and your integrity. You bring follow through, resourcefulness, and coordination to the team.
- Culture: You add positively to the social focus, the energy and the engagement of those around you. You bring warmth, generosity of spirit, excitement and respect.
This position is exempt, full-time, regular with full benefits. This position reports to the Executive Editor.
Salary range for this position is
- Generous paid time off, paid holidays
- Professional development stipend
- Remote work
- Health, vision and dental insurance
- 401k with a company match option
Exact start date is negotiable, but we are aiming for the Managing Editor to start during the 4th quarter of 2023 (October-December 2023).
Applications will be accepted until filled.
To apply please submit the following
- cover letter
- current resume
- 2-3 links to past visual editing work samples
- contact information for 3 professional references