The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL), a nonprofit organization based in Chicago, is dedicated to advancing the science and practice of social and emotional learning (SEL). CASEL’s mission is to help make evidence-based social and emotional learning (SEL) an integral part of preschool through high school education across the country. We believe that systemic educational efforts that promote students’ social and emotional competence are a key ingredient that will enable all young people in our diverse society to lead healthier, happier, more productive, and fulfilling lives.
With committed and growing philanthropic funding and a cohesive strategic plan, CASEL is endeavoring to:
- Support the implementation and document the impact of systemic SEL in large school districts and socio-demographically diverse school districts across this nation.
- Capture, refine, and test the learnings to advance the research base for the process of implementing systemic SEL and share that knowledge broadly.
- Identify and evaluate interventions and assessment tools to accelerate high-quality implementation of SEL nationwide.
- Partner with SEL program providers, colleges of education, professional organizations, school districts, and researchers to support scaling of SEL.
- Promote federal and state policies that encourage academic, social, and emotional learning.
- Strategically communicate to foster widespread demand for SEL as an essential part of students’ education at the classroom, school, district, state, and national level.
CASEL seeks a full-time Director of Marketing and Communications. This position is fully remote and will report to the Vice President of Communications.
The Director of Marketing and Communications is responsible for executing on strategic marketing and communications to advance the organization’s mission and elevate CASEL’s brand as the field leader and trusted source for expertise in social and emotional learning (SEL). This role will develop innovative campaigns to engage new audiences and broaden awareness of SEL. They will oversee a team responsible for CASEL’s digital platforms and media/public engagements, and collaborate with other departments to produce and promote CASEL offerings. The Director will lead marketing and creative around major organizational initiatives, while playing a key role on CASEL’s leadership team.
With the supervision of the Vice President of Communications and support of the Communications team, the Director of Marketing and Communications will:
- Develop and execute timely campaigns and innovative engagement strategies that achieve specified goals, including reaching new audience groups.
- Lead marketing and promotion of all CASEL publications, products, offerings, and events, including the annual SEL Exchange conference.
- Oversee production, maintenance, and continuous improvement of CASEL digital platforms, including e-newsletters, social media, websites, videos, and webinars.
- Oversee design of CASEL publications, presentation slides, products, and collateral, including managing organizational brand and brand standards.
- Proactively collaborate with other CASEL teams (e.g. research, practice, policy) to lead marketing plans that support department initiatives.
- Proactively collaborate with subject matter experts and external partners to develop and execute field-building influence strategies.
- Oversee tracking and measurement of engagement in CASEL network and products.
- Partner on long-term strategic planning and help oversee day-to-day execution of strategic communications to build awareness and deepen knowledge of social and emotional learning across broad audiences.
- Support the development of a speakers bureau to cultivate SEL champions who can share their stories and raise awareness of SEL.
- Support media relations across national and local outlets, mainstream and education specific channels, print and broadcast mediums.
- Work with the Development team to create grant proposals, manage grant budgets, and report on communications deliverables.
- Supervise and support the professional development of a small team of full-time staff, and manage external vendors and consultants.
- Other duties as assigned by VP of Communications.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The background and educational experience required for this position are:
- 7+ years of experience in communications, marketing, advertising, journalism, public relations, or related fields, including experience in supervisory roles.
- Familiarity with education, nonprofit, or related fields preferred.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree preferred in communications, marketing, or related fields. Significant experience may also be considered in lieu of degree.
- Significant track record of leading effective digital marketing strategies, product marketing, and/or media relations campaigns that grow audiences.
- Ability to effectively lead people and projects toward goals, including managing cross-functional teams and complex projects.
- Proficiency in:
- Web content management, including optimization, analytics, and design.
- Work management systems, e.g. Asana.
- Budget management.
- Preferred experience and skills:
- Ability to effectively navigate press and politics, with a strong understanding of salient issues and how to tailor communications for specific audiences.
- Experience with crisis communications is a plus.
- Established media relationships are a plus.
- Overseeing design.
- Social media strategy.
- Customer Relationship Management software system, e.g. Salesforce.
PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS AND COMPETENCIES
The personal characteristics and competencies required for this position are:
- Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives. Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas. Partners with others to get work done. Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments. Gains trust and support of others.
- Communicates Effectively: Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels. Attentively listens to others. Adjusts to fit the audience and the message. Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization. Encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and opinions.
- Values Differences: Seeks to understand different perspectives and cultures. Contributes to a work climate where differences are valued and supported. Applies others’ diverse experiences, styles, backgrounds, and perspectives to get results. Is sensitive to cultural norms, expectations, and ways of communicating.
- Customer Focus: Gains insight into customer needs. Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer. Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations. Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
- Develops Talent: Collaborative leader who can build trust and work effectively across different teams and roles. to achieve shared goals. Provides staff with clear direction and accountability, while guiding their professional growth.
CASEL seeks to maintain compensation packages competitive within the nonprofit and education sectors, commensurate with experience.
Please email a thoughtful cover letter and resume outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position and stating how you heard about this opportunity to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the position title in the subject line of your email message. We regret that we will not be able to respond to phone inquiries about this position.
The Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning is an equal opportunity employer. CASEL is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer and is strongly and actively committed to diversity within the community. CASEL evaluates applicants for employment on the basis of qualifications, merit and work-related criteria without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, mental or physical disabilities, pregnancy, medical condition, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law. CASEL employs and values a diverse work environment.