America SCORES Chicago (ASC) is a nonprofit organization that provides after school and summer K-8th grade programming that combines soccer, poetry, and service-learning. The mission of ASC is to inspire youth to lead healthy lives, be engaged students, and have the confidence and character to make a difference in the world.
The Development and Communications VISTA (DCV) will complete their service year at ASC as part of a larger AmeriCorps cohort hosted through Up2Us Sports. Up2Us Sports engages and trains Sports-Based Youth Development coaches, practitioners, and organizations to address the most pressing issues facing youth in under-resourced communities. Up2Us VISTA is one of three core Up2Us Sports programs.
AmeriCorps VISTA members support organizations in making sustainable change in areas that affect poverty, including education, public health, climate, access to benefits, and more. The service program is focused on gaining professional experience and leadership skills to prepare members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
The DCV will report directly to the Director of Development and Communications (DDC) and closely collaborate with the Executive Director (ED). The VISTA will primarily focus on strengthening and expanding ASC’s fundraising and resource development activities, including maintaining a grant submission and reporting calendar, developing and executing fundraising events, and supporting donor and stakeholder engagement. The VISTA will also work with the DDC to manage the external communications calendar and contribute to projects related to brand awareness and growth. The VISTA term will begin August 1, 2023 and end July 31, 2024.
· Maintain online donor database to ensure that corporate, foundation, and individual gifts are accurately recorded.
· Create and send donor acknowledgement letters, collaborating with the Development Team to identify donors who may require additional acknowledgement
· Identify new and existing grant opportunities, creating and regularly updating a grant prospect list for the Development Team.
· Research and prepare grant proposals, reports, and letters of inquiry with support from the Development Team and Director of Programs and Operations (DPO).
Special Event Management
· Support the DDC and Development Board in hosting Inspired Art (preferably in the Fall) and building out a sustainable work plan to ensure event success in future years
· Collaborate with the DDC and Development board to identify other smaller fundraising event opportunities
· Manage outreach to sponsors and businesses for silent auction items and other in-kind donations for program and fundraising events
· Organize and prepare materials needed for successful event execution
· Alongside the DDC and ED, lead the day-of logistics for events by supervising staff and volunteers
Marking and Communications
· Contribute to the creation of the monthly digital and print communications calendar
· Create and schedule posts to SCORES’ social media accounts in accordance with said communications calendar
· Update and maintain the Development and communications Google Drive shared folder with content copy and images
· Compile monthly tracking reports for engagement across platforms and work with the Development Team to analyze results and determine action items as needed based off of data
· Attend all Program and Fundraising events to capture content and provide live updates. Visit at least one SCORES site per week to capture content.
· Support the Development Team with the creation of materials and other communications to update
· Attend/work at all major program and fundraising events, including, but not limited to: Fall Frenzy, Community Slam, Red Carpet Poetry Slam, SCORES Cup, and Jamboree.
· Attend all (approx. 14) Friday Game Day events during the Fall, Winter, and Spring program; supporting with logistics as needed.
Requirements and Qualifications
· Enthusiasm for America SCORES Chicago’s mission and programs; core values of Teamwork, Leadership, and Commitment; and the healing power of sport.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects at a time with precision and high level of efficiency.
· Ability to work collaboratively with SCORES staff, corporate and community partners, and volunteers.
· Action-oriented and adaptable.
· Highly effective, demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
· Experience in online marketing, social media, and/or professional writing strongly preferred.
· Experience with online database platforms preferred, preference given to candidates with experience specific to CRM or fundraising software.
· Comfortable working both independently and collaboratively within a small, close-knit team, and thrive in a fast- paced, deadline-driven environment.
· Familiarity with InDesign, Photoshop, Publisher or other graphics programs preferred.
· Spanish proficiency preferred.
· Physical demands include handling the storing, packing, and setting up of sporting equipment weighing up to 20 pounds and climbing up and down up to four flights of stairs at a time at program sites.
· Must submit to and clear a Chicago Public Schools background check.
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) and Google Suite strongly preferred.
· Ability to work occasional nights and weekends to support programming and fundraising events.
· The AmeriCorps VISTA program requires that all VISTAs be 18 or older and must be a US citizen or permanent resident; this includes individuals with DACA status.