Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you can accomplish.
The Apple Services Engineering Search Science team is looking for an extraordinary leader to help build next-generation media search for Apple's ground breaking devices and platforms, leveraging Machine Learning and Deep Learning.
We are a diverse collective of thinkers and doers, continually reimagining what’s possible, to help us all find what we love in new ways. The ASE Search team powers search for App Store, Apple Music, iTunes, Apple TV, Books, Podcasts and more, on iOS, macOS, tvOS and watchOS across modalities.
We operate globally in 40+ languages in 170+ countries around the world. Our engineers and researchers have created some tough acts to follow, and they continue to lead us to innovative breakthroughs - because they’re driven not by what would be easy, but by what would be amazing.
We believe privacy is a fundamental human right and this belief is incorporated into everything we build. The same passion for innovation and customer wellbeing that goes into our products also applies to our practices as a company — strengthening our commitment to leave the world better than we found it. Join us to help deliver the next amazing Apple product!
Key QualificationsKey Qualifications
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience, including 5+ years in management
- Passion - our customers love what we do at Apple and we want the same from our leaders
- Ability to build phenomenal teams and deliver great results
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with experience in working with cross functional partners
- Strong expertise in Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Natural Language Processing applied in the areas of Search, Recommendations or Ads.
- Solid understanding of A/B experimentation and data-driven product development
- Experience building scalable data pipelines with Scala and Spark
- Knowledge of Information Retrieval concepts with experience building search solutions on Lucene/Solr/Elasticsearch or related search technologies.
This is a senior management role, with Managers of Applied Research teams and senior individual contributors reporting into you. You will influence both technical and product direction, and be responsible for bringing the latest advancements in Machine Learning, Deep Learning and Language Modeling to drive a major impact on the way people search & discover Apple Media content on devices worldwide!
The team has strong expertise in search, Information Retrieval, Machine Learning, Language processing, Data Mining, and Distributed Computing (Hadoop, Scala, Spark). You will use data driven analysis to ideate, evaluate and prioritize search features, and conduct A/B Tests to ensure we objectively measure improvements. You will ensure successful delivery of features, code, data, and models to production. You will collaborate with researchers, engineers, and operations to ensure that features and models are functioning at or above expected performance levels, globally in languages from Arabic to Vietnamese and everything in between!
Education & ExperienceEducation & Experience
MS or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related discipline.
Additional RequirementsAdditional Requirements
- - Assess difficult trade-offs, triage, and know that sometimes moving slowly now, is essential for unlocking fast progress later.
- - Champion a culture of experimentation, evaluation, and data analysis in making well-informed decisions.
- - You are a seasoned engineering leader who brings rigor in novel algorithm development and applying cutting-edge Machine Learning and Deep Learning at scale, thoughtfully personalizing the media search experience for our customers while staunchly defending their privacy at every turn.
- - Move up and down the ladder of abstraction and empower your team to do so as well. You can talk and contribute on technical matters but are always able to connect that work to the impact on customer experience.
Pay & BenefitsPay & Benefits
- At Apple, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay range for this role is between $196,000 and $343,500, and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
Apple employees also have the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder through participation in Apple’s discretionary employee stock programs. Apple employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, and can purchase Apple stock at a discount if voluntarily participating in Apple’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You’ll also receive benefits including: Comprehensive medical and dental coverage, retirement benefits, a range of discounted products and free services, and for formal education related to advancing your career at Apple, reimbursement for certain educational expenses — including tuition. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Learn more about Apple Benefits.
Note: Apple benefit, compensation and employee stock programs are subject to eligibility requirements and other terms of the applicable plan or program.