Are you a big-picture thinker who loves setting bold goals? Do you have a passion for understanding how each line of code affects all the others? The Core Operating Systems group is committed to building fully integrated operating systems that combine hardware, software, and apps into a single Apple experience. Your dedication to cross-disciplinary collaboration will help develop groundbreaking technologies! By crafting these distinct, holistic user experiences, you’ll continue to uphold and advance the perfection people expect from Apple devices. Our environment fosters product innovation, rapid product iteration, and values initiative!
The Core IO team is responsible for firmware and device drivers for Thunderbolt and USB-C controllers. We are looking for talented individuals who have a genuine interest in writing firmware and creating device drivers.
Key QualificationsKey Qualifications
- Experience with writing and debugging complex firmware or drivers
- Experience with firmware development and/or device driver development
- Knowledge of C and C++
- Proven creative, critical thinking, and troubleshooting skills
- Highly professional, with the ability to deliver solid work on tight schedules
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent collaborative skills
Working closely with multiple cross functional teams and vendors, you would be responsible for developing new features, debugging issues found by customers and Quality Assurance, schematic and code reviews, bringing up new hardware, and ensuring smooth interoperability.
Education & ExperienceEducation & Experience
BS in Computer Science/Computer Engineering or equivalent experience/skills
Additional RequirementsAdditional Requirements
- USB Power Delivery
- USB experience
- Thunderbolt host or device experience
- Display Port experience
- PCIe experience
- Familiarity with iOS/macOS toolchain
- Development experience in IOKit/macOS/iOS
- Experience with logic analyzers and oscilloscopes
- Knowledge of using a software/firmware debugger (e.g. LLDB/Xcode, gdb, Kiel µVision, Visual Studio, etc).
Pay & BenefitsPay & Benefits
- At Apple, base pay is one part of our total compensation package and is determined within a range. This provides the opportunity to progress as you grow and develop within a role. The base pay range for this role is between $130,000 and $242,000, and your base pay will depend on your skills, qualifications, experience, and location.
Apple employees also have the opportunity to become an Apple shareholder through participation in Apple’s discretionary employee stock programs. Apple employees are eligible for discretionary restricted stock unit awards, and can purchase Apple stock at a discount if voluntarily participating in Apple’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You’ll also receive benefits including: Comprehensive medical and dental coverage, retirement benefits, a range of discounted products and free services, and for formal education related to advancing your career at Apple, reimbursement for certain educational expenses — including tuition. Additionally, this role might be eligible for discretionary bonuses or commission payments as well as relocation. Learn more about Apple Benefits.
Note: Apple benefit, compensation and employee stock programs are subject to eligibility requirements and other terms of the applicable plan or program.