RE Sources is seeking a Donor Relations Manager to join our dynamic fundraising team. This position will design and implement strategies to increase individual donor giving by developing, stewarding, and managing monthly donor and renewing donor programs, recruiting and stewarding new donors, and managing donors who give gifts under $500. This job entails ongoing donor engagement through consistent and compelling outreach, fundraising appeals, and donor events. The Donor Relations Manager is key to the further expansion of our fundraising program and achieving our strategic goals. The ideal candidate will be detail-oriented, a creative thinker, effective multi-tasker, excellent writer, and able to thrive in an energetic environment. This is a full-time, non-exempt position reporting to the Development Director with a potential start date as early as the week of June 5th, 2023.
About RE Sources
RE Sources is a non-profit environmental education and advocacy organization based in beautiful Bellingham, Washington.Founded in 1982, we mobilize people in Northwest Washington to build just and thriving communities and to protect the land, water and climate on which we all depend.Our key priorities are to combat climate change, protect the Salish Sea and the waters that feed into it, fight pollution, educate for change, and stand up against environmental threats to our communities.
RE Sources stands against racism, white supremacy and the ingrained structures and institutions that enable and perpetuate them. Indigenous, Black and other communities of color are frequently the most harmed by environmental degradation. We envision a future where every person benefits from clean energy, less pollution and thriving outdoor places.
We face major environmental threats in the Pacific Northwest. As a grassroots environmental advocacy nonprofit, we believe greater public insistence and engagement is necessary to pressure elected officials, businesses and fellow community members to take the necessary level of action to turn the tide. RE Sources works to create strategic opportunities to protect our region’s environment and communities while elevating a unifying narrative of hope and resilience.
Role of the Donor Relations Manager
The Donor Relations Manager will work closely with the Development Director and the Communications Department to increase and diversify funding sources. This position provides an opportunity for professional growth and skill-building, and is the perfect springboard from which to advance a fundraising career.
RE Sources currently runs both fall and spring fundraising campaigns, and hosts fundraising events and this position would support those initiatives. The Development Team values honesty, reliability, curiosity, an approach to fundraising that is one of abundance rather than scarcity, and a deep commitment to RE Sources’ mission.
This job is based in Bellingham and all staff are currently working on a hybrid basis on a 4.5 day week . Staff work in the office two days a week (required) and the remainder of the time, staff are free to work in the office or from home. If working remotely for a period is necessary to accommodate a move to Northwest Washington, we can certainly arrange that. Our staff is fully vaccinated against COVID.
Key Responsibilities, Duties, and Skills:
Work with the Development Director and other staff to:
- Develop and implement RE Sources’ full donor engagement journey for all individuals giving below $500.
- Bottom-line coordination of our annual giving campaigns that include spring and year-end campaigns, Giving Tuesday, GiveBig and other opportunities.
- Draft online and direct mail appeals to monthly, renewing and new donor prospects, in coordination with other Development and Communications staff.
- Plan, coordinate, or support events including house parties and an annual fundraising gala, depending on the year.
- Design, implement, manage and expand monthly, new donor, and renewing donor programs.
- Administer all the back-end work for fundraising e-appeals—setting up audience segments, programming emails, and tracking campaign performance.
- Generate requested lists and reports from RE Sources Salesforce database.
- Work with the mailhouse in sending out appeal mailings.
- Establish protocols and manage donor acknowledgements.
- At least three years of fundraising experience.
- A firm commitment to RE Sources’ mission and advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in RE Sources’ fundraising work.
- Ace writing and excellent verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities and manage multiple tasks/deadlines.
- Strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Solid fluency in online platforms including: project management (Asana or similar), customer relationship management (Salesforce or similar), Google Workspace (particularly Docs and Sheets), email marketing (MailChimp or similar), and online donations (Click & Pledge or similar).
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with donors, fellow staff, and volunteers.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to summarize data, problems, and complex processes with brevity.
- Experience setting up systems to steward and solicit new, monthly, and renewal gifts from lower-level donors.
- A working understanding of the donor engagement journey, list segmentation, and stewardship best practices.
- Work background in or knowledge of regional environmental issues.
- Proficiency in event management: event planning and budgeting; engaging vendors; obtaining permits; recruiting and coordinating volunteers; and guest list management.
About working with RE Sources
Our mission has never been so critical and making an impact in the world starts with building and maintaining a healthy, vibrant organization. The working environment at RE Sources is fun, inspiring, and extremely rewarding. We offer a flexible work schedule and opportunities for professional growth. Our staff are passionate about protecting the environment, maintaining a supportive, friendly work culture, and modeling our values of interdependence, accountability, justice, impact, and hope.
We strive for a diverse workforce that is representative of our region’s communities. RE Sources encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, persons with disabilities, women and gender-nonconforming people. Data shows that women and BIPOC candidates often hesitate to apply for a job because they may not meet all the qualifications listed. If you feel passionate about our work and believe that you have the skills to contribute to the growth of our organization, we want to hear from you!
Compensation and Benefits
The position is full-time (4.5 day week) and reports to the Development Director. The annual salary is $55,000-$60,000 depending on qualifications and experience level and includes RE Sources’ full benefits package including medical, dental and vision insurance, generous amounts of paid time off and sick leave, and a 401(k) employer match. Full-time, new staff at RE Sources accrue vacation days and holidays as combined PTO at a rate of 25 days per year, and sick leave equal to 12 days per year. Health insurance coverage begins on the first day of the month that follows the work start date.
Please send your resume and cover letter in a single PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Donor Relations Manager) by May 19th, 2023.